Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Potential Lib Leadership Candidates

Who do you think should lead our party? This is a debate many have been asking, even though the contest has barely begun.

Which candidates do you like? Please comment, and give reasons behind my choice.

Uncle J says: I'm not sure. I like going for underdogs; I always love a challenge, so I'm thinking of supporting Martha Hall Findlay. Excellent private sector record, bilingual, and completely not invovled in the Liberal schism. Some will say she doesn't have the experience, but at this time in our party's existence, when we need a strong uniting force, I believe Findlay can do that being a relative outsider.

The other person I like is Ken Dryden. He also has an excellent private sector record, universal popularity across the country, but also comes across as a sincere, genuine character, who is passionate about the ideas he espouses. As well, he did an excellent job in defending the Liberal's public child care program as Minister of Social Development, being the guiding force between 10 provinces signing 10 agreements with the Federal government, an accomplishment unmatched since the advent of Medicare. One flaw is that he is not bilingual, which I think might hurt, however he does still have popularity, for obvious reasons, in Montreal.

Everyone seems to like Michael Ignatieff, but I am not quite a fan. In his TV interviews he comes across a tad condescending. Moreover, I disagree with his positions on Iraq and acceptable torture practices [http://www.ksg.harvard.edu/news/opeds/2004/ignatieff_less_evils_nytm_050204.htm]. I think he has made a valuable contribution in areas of international affairs, which is a great asset, in the increasingly globalized society. Also, he is great at expressing his points of view.

As for Stronach, and Brison, while they might be fine people, I cannot support their ambitions based on the unprincipled actions of defecting to our party, which augmented cynicism in our country. As you guys know by know, I am firmly against floor-crossing (unless there is a by-election/or member sits as an independent), and therefore I could not dare support these two. However, I encourage them to run, in order for Liberals to debate this issue further. Should we take a principled stance on this issue? It's something we must debate openly.

I hope you enjoy Uncle J's Blog of Queries - as always, I welcome your titillating comments!

7 Comments:

Blogger Jason said...

Ken Dryden for PM, eh? Well I suppose it was only a matter of time before a hockey player became Prime Minister of Canada. We could do worse.

10:52 p.m.  
Blogger fresh said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:29 a.m.  
Blogger fresh said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:30 a.m.  
Blogger fresh said...

sorry to the above.. typo...

you really think that brison could be a part of a party that would make him a ‘gay’ poster boy of a neo-con movement… think twice before you talk about floor crossing… different crossings merit different analysis. the belinda and emerson situations are way different then that of the brison crossing (if you can even call it that).

not to mention that brison has been an avid defender of a mess he had nothing to do with... in addition he has served the people in n.s. and canada well when he was minister of pwgs and has also won his riding with increased support twice as a liberal.

4:32 a.m.  
Blogger Uncle J said...

About floor crossing,

As I mentioned in the article, the ends never justify the means. Yes, Brison did a great job in the PWGSC file, and did a superb job of defending the government, but I am against floor-crossing for a principled reason - it very much looked like he was bought off. On December 10th 2003, 4 days after voting FOR the merger of the Alliance and PC's, Brison defected. Two days after that he was appointed Parliamentary secretary and sworn into cabinet. You've gotta admit, something's fishy there...

So based upon principle, I am against floor crossing; based on principle, I cannot support floor-crossers for the Liberal leadership. We can go ahead and analyze and say how those people have done a wonderful job for the libs, but at the end of the day...the ends never justify the means. Why, you might ask? The preservation of a democracy that keeps the confidence of Canadian citizens.

Uncle J

10:23 a.m.  
Blogger Andrew said...

National Post today has a blurb on David McGuinty, and he was talking actual reform.

Admittedly I want to hear more from him, but Findlay is still my #1 choice for PM (Dion a close #2)of the whole bunch. Unless Christy Clark comes in...

1:40 p.m.  
Blogger Uncle J said...

nah,

Christy clark won't join now that her husband, Marissen is working on Dion's campaign. Which I find kinda ironic actually. Why would Marissen, a former Martin loyalist, work for Dion, a definite Chretienite? I am absolutely flabbergasted. But, I would have liked to see Clark enter the race...it would have added a new dynamic.

1:56 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home