Friday, March 02, 2007

Election on the horizon?

People are wondering, far and near whether a federal election is on the horizon. With the Conservatives up in the mid-30s in poll numbers, I think they are feeling pretty confident right now that they are in majority territory, thus increasing their willingness to call/'encourage' an election.

The Liberals, on the other hand, have recovered after the convention honeymoon, and realize that there are going nowhere...Canadians still don't trust them. But I urge all of you to remember that pre-2006 election, Paul Martin was leading in the polls. Anything can change in a 40-day election campaign.

Tories are confident right now, and I hope Dion has the courage to precipitate an election. We must realize, however, that the power is not in his hands...Jack Layton. Will Layton side with the Conservatives? Presumptively, and ideologically speaking the answer is NO, but I've learned in politics to never say never. The NDP are taking a hard hit from the recent Green Party surge, and the NDP have no interest in having another election.

What will happen with the budget vote? I don't see how it can be passed, but then again, I also said Stephen Harper would never be Prime Minister of Canada, so I can be wrong. But, for what's its worth I predict a spring election...and I think Dion will do better than expected. We already know his limitations: lack of charisma, struggle with spoken English, etc. But those are known variables and Liberals will be ready...I hope

Comments welcome, [soon I will be posting some of my public policy positions of current topicality...stay tuned]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home